Sunday, May 23, 2010

Random Thoughts 5/23/10: Biggie Smalls, DJ's in Rap

What's going on world. Happy Sunday, day of the Lord, if you're into that kind of stuff. Instead of going to church on Sundays I wake up at noon at veg out for another couple of hours before I decide on doing anything productive. As is the case today, except I woke up a few hours ago earlier. Let's get a few things underway that have crossed my mind...

So it's come to my attention (thanks to every rap radio station and music news site) that 2 days ago, May 21st, would have been Christopher "Biggie Smalls" Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G.'s 38th birthday. R.I.P. Biggie, Happy Birthday and all that. I give the man his credit for accomplishing all that he did before dying at the age of 24. We should all be so lucky to have become a self made millionaire before breaking a quarter century of life. I guess growing up in the ghettos and making a living off of selling rocks sure does something to one's motivation for life success. I also find it a huge travesty that the murders of 2pac and Biggie have not been solved. Everyone hopes that one day they can be solved but let's be honest; if it was going to be solved it would have been by now. One more thing about Biggie: I have a hard time swallowing the hip hop collective's statement of him being a rap legend and a portion of it saying he was "the best that ever did it". Everyone has their own opinions, but to me, a man that made one album called Ready To Die and then the next step in his career was his murder...didn't leave much to fall back on in terms of legacy. He was great yes, he was lyrical, he was a man who was meant for rap, but rap legend? Only time could have told such a story and unfortunately he didn't have enough of it. Where Brooklyn at?!?

Ok, something that has been a thorn in my side for some time and I need to get off my chest...what the hell is up with these DJ's in rap? You know what I'm talking about...those dudes shouting at the top of their lungs all over a song during the intro, midway through, and the end of the song. They're not the song producer, the song rapper, or the songwriter. Let's provide such an example: What in the hell? Yes, my thoughts exactly. For someone who really had no place in terms of song creation, I don't understand where the hell some of these rap DJ's gain a reputation in terms of being "hot" or "talented". I would have to say my main 3 culprits are DJ Khaled, DJ Drama, and DJ Clue. Please feel free to put them on blast on twitter (the links have been provided). Shouting at the top of lungs all over a song isn't talent. I might understand it to make leaking of a single that much harder if they are the promotional DJ doing a world premier (i.e. the DJ last night doing the world premier of Drake's new single on Shade 45), but aside from that, I don't get it. The worst part is they are actually getting really rich doing this. How the hell do they do it? Whether it's on their own album or someone else's; it just doesn't make any sense to me. Care to enlighten? Let me know...leave a comment. I really need answers on this one. Do people like this guy deserve to be rich?


That's all for now. Til' next time!

~Dr. M

No comments:

Post a Comment