Monday, June 14, 2010

#MusicMonday: Eminem's Recovery (Album Preview)

Hey everyone happy #MusicMonday yet again. I know I haven't really been posting much to this amazing thing we call the Music Rehab Clinic, but I've been pretty busy considering all the commotion that summer brings up. Parties and trying to be productive have halted my creative juices for columns just a tad but rest assured, the Clinic will come back with some pretty decent steam. In the meantime, I've had some thoughts on one of my favorite MC's: Eminem...


Eminem has changed the release date of his Recovery album to be released sooner (on June 21st) most likely due to leaking of the album in its entirety. Honestly, I was a little skeptical on the quality of the album considering Eminem's recent lack of hype, lack of work ethic, and lack of live appearances ever since the release of the Relapse album. I actually really enjoyed Relapse, so I was hoping that Recovery could all but change my pre-deposition on what new material would bring. However, the release of "Not Afraid" and taking a look at the featured artists really gave me a shock. Featuring pop singers like Pink and Rihanna? Only rapper featured was Lil Wayne? No skits? No D12? No Dr. Dre? Clearly this is a new Eminem and he wants us to know that right off of the get go. I think he is taking a huge risk with this album. After Relapse and its lackluster sales (at least in comparison to most Eminem albums), it's pretty safe to say that this is the "make it or break it" album for Eminem and his relevance on today's obviously changed rap game.

I think the complete 360 of Eminem's character into this serious man stripped of the Slim Shady antics that made him famous has to do with two reasons. 1) The rap game has changed greatly from the time that Eminem was dominating the charts with smash albums like The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show. 2) Rehab and the recovery process has changed him into someone who realizes the most important things in life and why he raps in the first place. Could Eminem really have put a nail in the coffin of the Slim Shady persona? It's really looking like it. He's older, wiser, and considered one of rap's most important figures in the 21st century. I'm not sure how I feel about the serious nature of his new music, but I am certainly intruiged to hear it.

Eminem has everything to prove, but he probably feels like he has nothing to prove. He's experimenting and probably just happy to be making music that he feels he should be making at this point in his career. Another evident factor of this is the change of production for an Eminem album. A typical Eminem has production from the usual suspects: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Jeff Bass, and sometimes from his D12 cohort Mr. Porter (known better as Kon Artis). It's pretty noteworthy to see all the new producers that Em has never worked make appearances on this album. Boi-1da, Just Blaze, Jim Jonsin, and DJ Khalil make their mark all over the album. Also new and un-heard of producers (at least to me): Emile, Script Shepherd, Supa Dups, and Alex da Kid. Eminem doesn't even have 1 track on this album to his own production credit. I'm not really sure what that means. Cleary, he's looking for a new sound and wants to focus on his lyrical prowess instead of his production merit. I can respect that. Could it also be that he wants to give all these new producers their big time shot into the music biz? Could be the case as well and I really respect that. As much as it's evident that Eminem is a changed man, I think quality artists like him typically know what they're doing. Even if the production is poor and the songs don't catch the ears of America like the past albums did, I'm sure Eminem will still captivate with his incredible rhymes. We still believe in you Slim!

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment